Director of Athletic Communications
William Peace University, Raleigh
|Position Title:||Director of Athletic Communications|
William Peace University is a nationally-ranked, award-winning institution located in one of the best cities in the United States in downtown Raleigh, NC. WPU provides a culture that values diversity, fosters an energized team environment, builds on our strengths, promotes creativity and innovation, and encourages inclusiveness, respect, and open communication by leading with our actions. Our mission is to prepare our students for careers in the organizations of tomorrow. The ideal candidate will have the ability to embrace the five core values, mission, and vision of William Peace University. Join our team and see why William Peace University was voted one of the Triangle’s Best Places to Work in 2017! Follow your passion and make an impact at WPU.
|Purpose of Department:||
The William Peace University Athletic program complements the institution’s core educational mission, helping to enrich the lives of our students while contributing to a vibrant and diverse campus community that inspires excellence. Our work contributes to the holistic educational environment and strengthens community at the University. Academic and athletic excellences are compatible in a well-balanced environment that encourages student-athletes to thrive and achieve their full potential as whole people.
|Summary of Position:||
The Director of Athletic Communications is responsible for promoting the University and its goals through the production of sports-related media relations and promotion. The position also serves as the official statistician. The Director serves as the University sports media liaison: developing story ideas, writing, distributing press releases and coordinating media attendance at campus sporting events. The Director works with the all athletic programs within the Department. The incumbent must possess a strategic and curious mind with an ability to see potential uses for public and media relations for sports. This position must be skilled in writing and copy editing for publications, media promotion, press releases and public relations.
|Essential duties and responsibilities:||
• Direct responsibility for all University athletic communications and statistics:
• Coordinates team statistics for each program
• Compiles season and career statistics and records for all teams
• Reports statistics to the USA-South and NCAA, while meeting appropriate deadlines
• Responsible for staffing to cover home athletic events, including a game program, organizing relevant statistics, and reporting to media
• Hires, trains, and oversees interns & work-study students
• Coordinates nomination process of student athletes for conference and NCAA awards
• Prepares annual budget for Athletic Communication program to be used by Director of Athletics
• Develops and maintains athletic web pages and social media accounts on a daily basis
• Prepares and distributes daily/weekly sports releases
• Prepares and edits feature stories about William Peace athletes
• Coordinates and supervises live stream broadcasts of sporting events
• Establishes and maintains a list of current, relevant media outlets
• Partners/collaborates with the University Integrated Marketing and Communications office to prepare/disseminate feature stories about William Peace Athletics
• Manages the Celebration of Athletic Excellence awards selection and compiling information for the nominations and ballots; coordinates the audio-visual component of the event for the student-athletes
• Establishes and maintains records and history on all athletic programs
• Establishes and maintains files on all athletes in all athletic programs
• Establishes and maintains a photo/video file for all athletes and coaches
• Advises Athletic Director on total program development
• Assists in developing program of professional growth through in-service activities
• Manages the information used by the WPU Athletic Pacer Club Hall of Fame Committee
• Participates in local, state and national sports information associations to include any affiliated organization, i.e. NCAA, SIDA, and COSID
• Works effectively with a diverse population of students, employees, visitors, and guests
• Other duties within scope of Athletic Department’s responsibilities as defined by supervision
Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Communications or related field and three years of successful Athletic Communication experience preferably at the collegiate level OR equivalent combination of education and experience. (News reporting and editing experience may be accepted.) Must have knowledge of college athletics; expertise with software programs to generate athletic statistics, update web pages and produce programs; photography experience; video production//broadcast and editing skills; and availability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
Knowledge of NCAA Statistical programs and InDesign software; video editing experience; general HTML/CSS knowledge; and experience in Higher Education.
|Hours per week:||Full Time|
|Job Posting Date:||10/05/2023|
|Priority Deadline Information:||
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by the Priority Date; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter