Sports Information Assistant
William Peace University, Raleigh
|Position Title:||Sports Information Assistant|
William Peace University is a nationally-ranked, award-winning institution located in one of the best cities in the United States in downtown Raleigh, NC. WPU provides a culture that values diversity, fosters an energized team environment, builds on our strengths, promotes creativity and innovation, and encourages inclusiveness, respect, and open communication by leading with our actions. Our mission is to prepare our students for careers in the organizations of tomorrow. The ideal candidate will have the ability to embrace the five core values, mission, and vision of William Peace University. Join our team and see why William Peace University was voted one of the Triangle’s Best Places to Work in 2017! Follow your passion and make an impact at WPU.
|Purpose of Department:||
The William Peace University Athletic program complements the institution’s core educational mission, helping to enrich the lives of our students while contributing to a vibrant and diverse campus community that inspires excellence. Our work contributes to the holistic educational environment and strengthens community at the University. Academic and athletic excellences are compatible in a well-balanced environment that encourages student-athletes to thrive and achieve their full potential as whole people.
|Summary of Position:||
The Sports Information Assistant is responsible for promoting the University and its goals through the production of sports-related media relations and promotion and as serving as an official statistician. The position supports the Director of Athletic Communications by serving as the University sports media liaison, developing story ideas, writing, distributing press releases, and coordinating media attendance at campus sporting events.
|Essential duties and responsibilities:||
● Serves as second in command to the Director of Athletic Communications for WPU Athletics
● Assists game day coverage at the site of competition which includes providing all resources necessary for game coverage which may include both on campus and off campus events.
● Assists with the daily operations of the WPU sports website to include writing, editing, and updating its contents. Troubleshoots technical problems before/during/after the event and works with other technical staff to properly resolve any technical problems.
● Assists with the hiring and training of student workers and interns that help with sports information duties.
● Stays up to date on trends in media innovation and in particular the impact of new media and multimedia production methods on broadcast organization and workflows.
● Creates, updates and manages live and on-demand streaming media webcasts.
● Consistently meets project timelines and delivers timely, creative, and accurate multimedia events.
● Troubleshoots technical problems before/during/after the event and works with other technical staff to properly resolve any technical problems.
● Assists event-management related to media relations for all athletic teams.
● Coordinates scoreboard mechanics as needed.
● Helps maintain and update releases for all WPU sports for posting on WPU Website and delivery to WPU media outlets.
● Helps maintain essential archives and assures that they are accurate, stored and are updated at the end of each season.
● Works with WPU Coaches to per USA South Athletic Conference and NCAA Policies and Procedures in producing nomination materials, ballots, statistics and background information for conference, regional and national awards.
● Represents WPU at conference meetings addressing any specific agenda items related to communications/media/marketing functions as requested.
● Assists with special events and projects as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
● Assists in maintaining statistics for athletics teams and responsible for reporting those to USA South and NCAA.
● Provides pre-and post-game statistical information and notes plus any other data the media requires in cumulating the sports events at the college.
● Travels with sports teams to away events as assigned by the Director of Athletic Communication.
● May be responsible for photography at WPU events.
● Works cooperatively with personnel in the athletics department, attends department meetings and activities, and always represents the college positively when interacting with the community, alumni, high school and club coaches, media and general public.
● Follows up with staff to ensure deadlines are met and procedures are followed.
● Works under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
● Effectively works with a diverse population of students, employees, visitors, and guests.
Other Athletic Communication duties
● Establishes and maintains records and history on all athletic programs.
● Establishes and maintains personnel files on all athletes in all athletic programs.
● Establishes and maintains a photo/video file for all athletes and coaches.
● Advises Athletic Director on total program development.
● Assists in developing program of professional growth through in-service activities.
● Assists in delivering information used by the WPU Athletic Pacer Club Hall of Fame Committee.
● Is active in local, state and national sports information associations to include any affiliated organization, i.e. NCAA, SIDA, and COSIDA.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Communications/English or related field and one year of previous successful athletic communication experience. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, including having the ability to identify and develop game and feature stories. Must have strong time management skills and technical expertise to use computer software programs such as Stat Crew to generate athletic statistics, update web pages and produce programs. Must be available to work nights and weekends
Video production/broadcast/photography and editing skills. Broadcast (radio, TV) experience is a plus.
|Hours per week:||Full Time|
|Job Posting Date:||09/29/2023|
|Priority Deadline Information:||
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by the Priority Date; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Media File