Human Resources Specialist
William Peace University, Raleigh
|Position Title:||Human Resources Specialist|
William Peace University is a nationally-ranked, award-winning institution located in one of the best cities in the United States in downtown Raleigh, NC. WPU provides a culture that values diversity, fosters an energized team environment, builds on our strengths, promotes creativity and innovation, and encourages inclusiveness, respect, and open communication by leading with our actions. Our mission is to prepare our students for careers in the organizations of tomorrow. The ideal candidate will have the ability to embrace the five core values, mission, and vision of William Peace University. Join our team and see why William Peace University was voted one of the Triangle’s Best Places to Work in 2017! Follow your passion and make an impact at WPU.
|Purpose of Department:||
The Office of Human Resources manages workforce planning, position management, organizational development, recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, employee relations, training and development, performance management, employee wellness, employee engagement, leave administration, compliance, workplace safety, HRIS, and HR data and analytics.
|Summary of Position:||
The Human Resources (HR) Specialist serves as an integral part of the Office of Human Resources (HR) team, leading initiatives and addressing issues related to recruitment and selection, orientation and onboarding, benefits administration, performance management, and employee recognition. The HR Specialist may also participate in efforts related to other specialty areas of HR including organizational design, classification, compensation, employee engagement, training, compliance, and employee relations as assigned by the CHRO. The position reports to the Associate Vice President (AVP) for Human Resources and is involved in researching, recommending, and implementing changes to existing policies, procedures, and programs as well creating and facilitating new ones. The HR Specialist must be resourceful, creative, and confident in delivering high-quality support services to customers with varying levels of HR knowledge and experience.
|Essential duties and responsibilities:||
• Provide guidance to HR partners/customers in assigned areas of HR as needed.
• Participate in efforts to improve operations and services.
• Research, recommend, and develop new programs, policies and procedures.
• Assist with annual reporting requirements including IPEDS, CDS, ACA, and SACSCOC as well as state and federal required reporting.
• Ensure adherence to state and federal guidelines and regulations (ADA, COBRA, FMLA, ADEA, ERISA, FLSA, etc.)
• Manage benefits administration, including annual benefits open enrollment, new hire enrollments, dependent eligibility verification, and qualifying life event changes; serve as first point of contact on employee benefits questions/issues.
• Provide guidance to HR Coordinator on the development and coordination of wellness activities and programs to enhance work-life balance and positively impact retention; encourage participation and manage communication.
• Manage leave programs including vacation and sick leave, PTO; work with HR Director on complex leave cases involving FMLA, short term disability, long term disability, workers comp, etc.
• Track performance management efforts and ensure that performance reviews and goals are developed for all employees; assist supervisors and employees with use of the online Performance Management system;
• Provide timely benefits compliance/legal notices to employees as required
• Partner with Human Resources Director to ensure compliance with accident reporting process; may assist supervisors with accident and investigation reports and procedures; consults with HR Director on leave management and return to work/light duty programs.
• Complete annual salary surveys from professional associations and analyze compensation data.
• Work within existing HR systems and play an integral role in assessing needs, identifying appropriate systems/vendors, and implementing new products or enhancements to current products.
• Participate in creating and implementing employee engagement efforts and activities (newsletter, social events, awards events, etc.)
• Coordinate recruitment and selection processes for faculty, staff, temporary, and student positions.
• Research and employ appropriate sources for recruitment, including online job boards, professional associations, diversity related outlets, and community organizations.
• Screen candidates according to minimum and preferred criteria, determine candidate viability, provide candidate pool summaries to hiring officials, etc. to facilitate recruitment and selection process.
• Maintain effective new employee orientation and onboarding processes and systems; conduct in-person and virtual orientation sessions; educate new hires on benefit offerings and assist with enrollment.
• Refer all complaints and reports of policy/procedure violations to the AVP to investigate and document findings.
• Participate in continuing education and professional development opportunities regularly to enhance and maintain relevant, up-to-date skillset and knowledge base.
• Effectively and collaboratively work with a diverse population of employees, students, visitors, guests, and vendors
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Business Administration, Human Resources, Management, etc. and 1-3 years of progressive work experience in the HR field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have demonstrated knowledge and experience related to state and federal employment regulations; the ability to work well with diverse populations; technical expertise in using complex HRIS systems; proficiency with technology; superb organizational, analytical, customer-service, and communication skills (written and verbal); high attention to detail; and a strong work ethic with the ability to function independently.
PHR or SPHR certification with demonstrated participation in professional associations and networking opportunities; demonstrated commitment to professional growth and development; experience in multiple areas of human resources; experience in higher education; strong technical abilities related to system needs assessment and system implementation including experience with PeopleAdmin, Paycom, and Quantum; strong reporting/compliance knowledge and experience; and experience recruiting, interviewing and using/maintaining applicant tracking systems.
|Hours per week:||Full Time|
|Job Posting Date:||09/22/2023|
|Priority Deadline Information:||
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by the Priority Date; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter