Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Program - Interest Requisition
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Application Deadline: 2/19/2024
UNC Health has recently launched a Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Program (MAAP)! This exciting entry-level program, approved by Apprenticeship NC, will be an on-the-job training program designed to teach routine administrative and clinical Medical Assisting skills in the outpatient clinic setting. Our Medical Assistant Apprentices will provide support to providers and other health care team members. This is a full time position at 40 hours a week, Monday - Friday.
Our Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Program (MAAP) will have Apprentice opportunities in the following regional areas:
- Internal Medicine at Panther Creek
- UNC Family Medicine at Kildaire
- Chapel Hill Internal Medicine
- Endocrine and Benign Hematology
- The UNC Family Medicine Center at Chapel Hill
- UNCH Child Primary and Specialty Clinic
- Urgent Care Carolina Pointe II
- Urgent Care at Flowers
- The UNC Family Medicine Center at Durham - Fayetteville Road
- Garner Family Practice
- Internal Medicine at Goldsboro
- Holly Springs Women
- Holly Springs Pediatrics
- UNC Family Medicine at Kinston
- UNC Family Medicine at Wakefield
- UNC Health Family Medicine at East Six Forks
- UNC Specialty Care at Chatham
*Important Note: This is an interest requisition only. We request that if you are interested in this program and in working as an Apprentice in one of the above-listed regional areas, please select “Apply Now” and submit your interest. This will inform our hiring team of those interested to work as an Apprentice in that specific area. We encourage all those interested in this program to also sign up for job alerts. Job alerts are based upon your job search filters and criteria set (entity, location, keywords), you can sign up for job alerts by selecting the “Set Up Job Alerts” button on the left side of the “Search Jobs” page. Job alerts will notify you via email automatically when a new job opens up that matches your filters and job search criteria.
The Medical Assistant Apprentice will work under the supervision of an assigned journeyman, and under the general direction of the designated manager/supervisor.
Learn more details on the program overview, eligibility, and commitments, about our Medical apprenticeship program here:https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/medical-assistant-apprenticeship-program-maap
If hired, the Apprentice/Employee must meet all terms of MAAP commitment agreement.
- Performs rooming and/or intake process including vital signs, height, weight, and data collection related to patient’s reason for visit.
- Collects patient and family data, including medical and social history. Reviews patient’s current medication list, allergies and preferred pharmacy.
- Assists the provider as directed, during treatments, examinations and procedures. Collects specimens and performs phlebotomy. Administers medications under designated manager / supervisor.
- Performs tests, for example EKG, eye exams, under designated manager / supervisor. Reviews the patient record to determine whether patient requires any routine health screenings.
- Ensures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, forms and educational materials are available and ready for use during visit/procedure. Prepares, cleans, stocks and maintains exam and treatment rooms. Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
- Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed.
- Assists with patient registration, check in/check out, appointment scheduling, and scheduling of tests and treatments. Answers clinic telephone and assists in-basket under designated manager/supervisor.
- High school diploma or general education degree.
- Will be required to obtain Basic Life Support Certification from American Heart Association as part of the MAAP.
- Health care experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position as outlined above.
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to engage positively with patients and families and to work as a team with staff and providers.
- Ability to use a computer to document required information into the electronic medical record.
$17 per hour in Triangle areas
$15 per hour in Non-Triangle areas
If you have questions regarding your application for the MAAP, please email HCS Senior Recruiter Cara Lee Arms, at [email protected].
If you have questions regarding the Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Program host locations with UNC Physicians Network, please email Cynthia Hardin at [email protected].
If you have questions regarding the Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Program host locations with UNC Faculty Physicians and the Medical Center, please email Amy Kelley at [email protected].
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.