Medical Assistant I Certified - ENT/Head & Neck Surgery
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill offers a wide variety of educational opportunities. Our dedicated faculty is committed to improving the knowledge base in the field of otolaryngology/head and neck surgery through Medical School, Residency, and Fellowship Programs. If you join our team here at OHNS you will have the opportunity to work at multiple locations advancing your skill set. Most of our locations are conveniently located right off of I-40 with local eateries and shopping on your lunch break and after hours! Our services include ear, nose and throat with specialists that work with cochlear implants, facial nerve center, and voice botox that not only care for North Carolinians, but patients all across the country. We can't wait for you to join our One Great Team here at OHNS!
The schedule expectations for this role will be standard Monday-Friday work hours
This position qualifies for a $5,000 incentive. To learn more visit: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-medical-center-unc-faculty-physicians-outpatient-commitment-incentive-program
The Medical Assistant I, Certified provides routine clinical and administrative support to providers and other health care team members in an outpatient clinic setting. The Medical Assistant I, Certified works under the clinical supervision of the provider for patient care activities, and under the general direction of the designated manager/supervisor for non-clinical responsibilities.
1. Performs rooming and/or intake process, collecting and data, including vital signs, height, weight, and data related to patient’s reason for visit.
2. Collects patient and family data, including medical and social history.
3. Reviews patient’s current medication list, allergies and preferred pharmacy.
4. Assists the provider as directed, during treatments, examinations and procedures.
5. Collects specimens and performs phlebotomy.
6. Administers medications under the direction of a provider.
7. Performs tests, for examples EKG, eye exams, under the direction of a provider.
8. Reviews the patient record to determine whether patient requires any routine health screenings.
9. Ensures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, forms and educational materials are available and ready for use during visit/procedure.
10. Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed.
11. Prepares, cleans, stocks and maintains exam and treatment rooms.
12. Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
13. Assists with patient registration, check in/check out, appointment scheduling, and scheduling of tests and treatments, and referrals.
14. Answers clinic telephone and assists in-basket under the direction of a provider or nurse.
15. Assists in emergency situations as directed by a provider or nurse.
● Requires high school diploma or GED.
● Completion of a Medical Assisting program accredited by either the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accreditation Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) is strongly preferred but not required.
● Requires Medical Assistant certification by either the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), National Health Career Association (CCMA), National Association of Health Professionals (NRCMA), or National Center for Competency Testing (NCMA).
● Basic Life Support Certification from American Heart Association (AHA) or American Red Cross (ARC) required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Prior medical assistant or medical assistant externship experience preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Ability to perform the essential functions of the position as outlined above.
● Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
● Demonstrated ability to engage positively with patients and families and to work as a team with staff and providers.
● Ability to use a computer to document required information into the electronic medical record.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: SOM OHNS Admin
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Salary Range: $17.50 - $24.63 per hour (Hiring Range)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.