Endoscopy Technician - GI Procedures
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position performs basic Nursing Assistant activities. This position also provides assistance to the physician during operative and invasive procedures. This position functions to assure endoscopy suite is adequately prepared for procedure and monitors PAR level of all surgical instruments and supplies. Reprocess and maintain of endoscopes and other endoscopy equipment.
1. Clerical--Uses computer scheduling system to schedule endoscopy procedures at mutually acceptable times. Performs receptionist/ clerical duties as needed. Orders and stocks supply inventory, prepares rooms and equipments to accommodate patient load. Runs errands as necessary to lab, pharmacy, CD. Understands operation, function and handling of equipment, supplies.
2. Clinical--Assists MD and RN with endoscopic procedures under supervision registered nurse. Utilizes instruments during procedures. Assists with the delivery of direct nursing care. Assists with admission and discharge of patients. Assists with patient identification and vital signs. Documents/ charts on forms as required. Assists with positioning of patient. Assists with collection and preparation of endoscopy specimens. Demonstrates a cooperative nature with physicians and nurses while responding to needs and requires of patients/ families.
3. Professional Development-- Maintains BLS and competencies as prescribed by department annual Endoscopy Technician checklist. Attends inservices and organizational meetings.
4. Technical-- Attends all required training and completes all required competencies for high-level disinfection (HLD) processes – initially and yearly as required by UNC Medical Center policy. Demonstrates proficiency in reprocessing and maintenance of endoscopes and other endoscopic equipment per UNC Infection Prevention endoscope policy and manufacturer instructions for use (IFUs) for specific equipment in use, including specific endoscopes. Maintains automated endoscope reprocessors (AERs) and/or vapor management hoods (if relevant). Ensures the correct hookups and adapters are in use for channeled scopes reprocessed in AERs. Checks all chemical levels in reservoirs and basins to ensure adequacy. Checks minimum effective concentrations as appropriate and per manufacturer’s IFUs for HLD chemicals. Effectively communicates information regarding scope repairs, loaners, supplies and QI information by maintaining documentation of all actions. Has knowledge of and appropriately dons and doffs personal protective equipment (PPE) in the reprocessing room per policy and OSHA regulations. Maintains supplies needed for cleaning and reprocessing, and communicates effectively equipment failures and needed repairs. Accurately records all necessary data in appropriate logs according to UNC Medical Center policies.
● Graduation from an accredited Surgical Technology program or High School diploma or GED.
● If graduation from an accredited Surgical Technology program: No licensure or certification required.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Licensed as a Nursing Assistant I by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services or one year of Endoscopy Technician experience. Nursing Assistant I license will be required if performing pre/post patient care.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of relevant health care experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH GI Procedures
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.