Certified Ophthalmic Assistant
***This position is eligible for the UNC Health Outpatient Commitment Incentive Program! ***
The Commitment Incentive includes $5,000 paid over a three (3) year commitment period. To learn more about the requirements, please visit: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-medical-center-unc-faculty-physicians-outpatient-commitment-incentive-program
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Are you a Certified Ophthalmic Assistant looking for an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic team? UNC Health Faculty Physicians Ophthalmology in Holly Springs is looking for a skilled and motivated individual to join their department. As a Certified Ophthalmic Assistant, you will be responsible for performing level work, obtaining routine history information, and conducting standardized ophthalmic tests under the direction and supervision of an Ophthalmologist. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with a team of professionals and learn from experienced colleagues. The clinic follows well-established policies and procedures, providing a stable and supportive work environment. If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding career, apply today to join the UNC Health Faculty Physicians Ophthalmology team!
The ideal candidate must have a National Certification by the Joint Commission of Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology at the Assistant level.
1. Patient Assessment - Interviews patient to collect and update medical and ocular history, family and social history, records previous surgeries and treatments, updates medications, allergies and pharmacy information. Obtains patients chief complaint asking questions as appropriate for recording severity, context, duration, frequency, associated symptoms, pain scale, etc.
2. Patient Testing - Independently performs elements of comprehensive exam such as visual acuity using various methods such as Snellen, Tumbling E's, Allen Pictures, etc., Neutralize glasses Rx with auto-lensometer or manual method and transpose between minus and plus cylinder format, Measure Intra-Ocular pressure using Applanation, Tonopen or I-Care method, measure, compare and evaluate pupillary responses, ocular motility to include versions and ductions, cover tests, stereo acuity and nystagmus, visual fields including confrontation, automated perimetry and Amsler Grid method, color vision, auto-refraction, manifest refraction, schirmer's tear testing, inflammadry and osmolarity testing, glare testing, keratometry readings (automated or manual) and corneal pachymetry.
3. Patient Set Up - Sets up for Lasers, minor surgical procedures, and injections using sterile technique where applicable. Educate patients on procedures, testing , systemic diseases and their ocular manifestations, instruct on proper medication use and treatments, how to apply eye dressings, etc. May take vital signs such as blood pressure or glucose testing or perform CPR in emergency situations.
4. Equipment Maintenance - Cleans and calibrates ophthalmic instruments and equipment, replaces bulbs and batteries, monitors clinic medical and labaratory supplies and reports shortages to facilities manager to be reordered. Cleans and sterilizes instruments according to UNC policy. Cleans and stocks exam rooms and ancillary testing rooms when needed. Maintains calibration of ophthalmic instruments and reports malfunctioning equipment to facilities manager for prompt repair.
5. Special Testing - With limited supervision, may perform special testing such as OCT, Fundus Photography, Fluorescein Angiography and Topography, Axial Length measurements using IOL Master or Immersion method as directed by the physician or in compliance with predetermined protocols.
● High School diploma or GED
● National Certification by the Joint Commission of Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology at the Assistant level.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If graduation from an accredited CoA-OMP or CMA (Canadian Medical Association) training program: Six (6) months of clinical experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: UNC FP Ophth Holly Springs
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Salary Range: $20.03 - $28.52 per hour (Hiring Range)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Holly Springs
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.