Surgical Tech OR EAST
This position is eligible for a $10,000 Two Year Commitment Incentive or a $15,000 Three Year Commitment Incentive
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Surgical Technologist I works
under the supervision of a surgeon and registered nurse to facilitate the safe
and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures, ensuring that the
operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that
the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient
safety. Surgical technologists possess expertise in the theory and application
of sterile and aseptic technique and combine the knowledge of human anatomy,
surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a
physician's performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures. Has baseline
knowledge and ability to perform duties of surgical scrub at entity they serve.
1. Performs technical skill duties in all operating room specialty service areas, ensuring that proper technical practices are employed according to accepted standards of process.
2. Provides proper maintenance, assembly, handling, and sterilization techniques of specialty instrumentation.
3. Follows aseptic technique. Proactively identifies contamination and/or breaks in aseptic technique and implements corrective actions.
4. Performs surgical counts. Follows policies and procedures for incorrect counts and reports discrepancies appropriately.
5. Labels drugs and solutions; monitors quantities used.
6. Assists in the proper identification, preparation, handling, and labeling of surgical specimens.
7. Actively participates in the planning and set up of instruments, supplies, and surgical drapes in an organized manner to provide optimal accessibility during the procedure.
8. Assists the surgeon, demonstrating an understanding of the patient’s anatomy and abnormalities which affect the surgical procedure.
9. Assists in picking cases and planning of instrument needs.
10. Recognizes and modifies scrubbing procedures based on pertinent information to develop modifications to standard approaches to care and communicates with the surgical team. Responds to surgical emergencies and follows hospitalwide emergency management plans.
11. Inventories, receives, and stores supplies under the direction of Surgical Services leadership.
12. Identifies and reports defective instruments, supplies, and equipment. Assists with restocking operating/procedure rooms and sub-sterile areas.
13. Assists the registered nurse during the intraoperative implementation phase of nursing practice.
14. Operates complex equipment and other resources in the operating room, troubleshooting as necessary
15. Serves as a mentor for Surgical Technician Trainees and will serve as a preceptor as needed.
● High School Diploma or GED
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technology or Nursing Program; or
Graduate of a Military Training Program in Surgical Technology; or
Formal education/training may be substituted for individuals with 3+ years of prior experience as a surgical tech
Professional Experience Requirements:
● 0-3 years
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Successful completion of service specific portion of the UNC Health Surgical Technologist competencies
● Strong communication skills/customer service relations
● Excellent organizational/priority setting skill
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex OR East
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Salary Range: $20.88 - $30.02 per hour (Hiring Range)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Work Schedule: Evening Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email email@example.com if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.