Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Incentive Program. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program?&bid=12881
Performs specialized and complex technical tasks in screening slides of clinical specimens to detect evidence of cancer or other pathological or diseased conditions. Duties include marking abnormalities, recording diagnosis, an filing cases for subsequent review with pathologist.
Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30am - 4:00pm
*10-hr shifts available after successful completion of probation period
1. Complies listing of patients for follow-up analysis of specimens. Prepares and analyzes subsequent specimens for cell changes and reports findings to pathologist.
2. Filters and spins fluids (centrifuge), prepares slides and stains specimens. Classifies slides, records classification, and presents slides with unusual cell structures to pathologist for further examination.
3. Prepares various solutions as required maintains inventory of supplies reorders as required.
4. Provides technical instruction and guidance to cytology students, reviews slides screened by students assists in training of new employees.
5. Receives blood/fluid specimens sent to the laboratory or collects specimens from patients observing strict principles of asepsis and anti-sepsis to prevent infection of patients and contamination of specimens.
6. Reviews patient history for each case maintains files of slides, diagnoses and laboratory reports.
● Bachelor's degree and completion of a one (1) year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology.
● CT(ASC) certified by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within one year of hire date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Bachelor's degree and completion of a one (1) year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology, no years of experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Salary Range: $29.98- $37.48 (minimum-midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email email@example.com if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.