Child Life Specialist
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
UNC Health Care is recruiting full time Certified Child Life Specialists to join our UNC Children’s Hospital team located on the beautiful campus of UNC Chapel Hill.
As a top-tier academic medical center, UNC Children’s hospital upholds a four-tiered mission to “CARE,” aligning clinical care, advocacy, research, and education to deliver world-class, family-centered care – always regardless of a family’s ability to pay. UNC Children’s clinical home, N.C. Children’s Hospital, is a major referral center for children with complex conditions and consistently recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of "America's Best Children's Hospitals" on its annual list.
We are seeking a dynamic, motivated and team-oriented Child Life Specialist with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with multidisciplinary providers and teammates in effective, collaborative practice to support the long-term needs primarily of patients with chronic conditions requiring frequent and/or lengthy hospitalizations.
Our Child Life Specialists have the opportunity to specialize in an area of interest, but also share responsibility for meeting the needs of all demographics across our campus.
In addition to meeting the day-to-day coping and adjustment needs of pediatric patients and families, the Child Life Specialist teaches, supervises, and evaluates the work of volunteers and child life student interns. The incumbent may also serve as a resource and an advocate on child development, family-centered care, multicultural awareness, and the impact of various health care experiences on pediatric patients and families.
This position is 40 hours (9:30am-6:00pm), Monday through Friday, with rotating weekend and holiday requirements.
1. Evaluates patient progress towards treatment goals and responses to treatment interventions, adapts as necessary in compliance with departmental performance expectations
2. Initial assessment and evaluation--Individually assesses/evaluates patient formulates clinical impressions and recommendations for treatment, referral for other services or provision for no service based upon the analysis of assessment data, and reports assessment findings to appropriate individuals in compliance with departmental performance expectations
3. Internship management--Recruits, screens, interviews, selects, supervises and evaluates child life interns in accordance with department performance expectations
4. Outreach--Develops and facilitates community outreach programs that promote the Children's Hospital and the health and wellbeing of children in accordance with departmental performance expectations
5. Planning--Interprets assessment data accurately, determines appropriate treatment goals in conjunction with the overall treatment plan, designs treatment plans and individualized treatment interventions for assigned patient population to meet their treatment needs in compliance with departmental performance expectations
6. Plans for all needed resources, coordinates program scheduling and plans and facilitates group and individual treatment interventions with co-workers and other disciplines in compliance with departmental performance expectations
7. Plans for patient discharge and recommends continued service or aftercare in accordance with departmental performance expectations
8. Program development--Develops new or revises existing programs & interventions to reflect current patients' needs, interests and abilities and to promote safety in compliance with departmental performance expectations
● Bachelor's degree in Therapeutic Recreation, Child Life or a related field that meets the Child Life Council's recommendation for coursework concentration in Child Life.
● Certification by the Child Life Certifying Commission within six (6) months of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Rec Therapy & Child Life-Peds
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Salary Range: $19.43 - $24.28 per hour (Minimum to Midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.