Nursing Assistant II - Burn Center
*This position qualifies for our Nursing Support Incentive Program. The Nursing Support Incentive Program includes $5,000 paid over a three (3) year commitment. Learn more about the program here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-hospitals-unc-rex-nursing-support-incentive-program
Nursing Assistant II needed for the Burn Center. Our 21 bed ICU capable Burn Center has the most state of the art and innovative equipment. We provide care to burn victims of every age, from pediatric to geriatric, and provide care at every level of acuity, from the most critical through the rehabilitation phase. The Burn Center undergoes a rigorous verification process by the American Burn Association and the American College of Surgeons to ensure we continue provide the most advanced, highest quality burn care. The NC Jaycee Burn Center is North Carolina's only burn care center of excellence specializing in burns. Our nursing team works with many others to achieve our goals of restoration of health and function. They are an integral part of a collaborative burn team including physicians, physician assistants, nursing assistants, physical, occupational and recreational therapists, chaplains, a rehabilitation counselor, social workers, a dietician, pharmacist, and a teacher. The staff have the opportunity to provide care at the most critical level and be part of a team that works to assist a burn injured patient through all phases of the recovery. The nursing staff of the Burn Center is truly involved in the relief of suffering and promotion of healing and restoration of functional capacity.
This is a 36 hours per week position; working 12 hour rotating shifts (7am-7:30pm and 7pm-7:30am) with weekend and holiday rotation. This position qualifies for an extensive State benefit package including PTO hours, which are accrued based on the number of worked hours. This position requires the ability to attend a week long orientation (Monday through Friday, 7:30am-5:00pm) which is offered every two weeks.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides routine direct and indirect patient care in a hospital, clinic or home health care setting. All work performed is under the direct supervision of a registered nurse or physician.
1. Assist physicians and other health care providers with routine examinations and procedures, as well as procurement of equipment and supplies.
2. Provide administrative and clerical support including PI audits and data entry
3. Provide clinical support assistance to include, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, maintaining office equipment, troubleshooting common software and hardware problems, changing linens, checking supply inventory, re-stocking supplies, transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens, and assisting in the orientation of new employees and students.
4. Provide direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care activities such as bathing, dressing, feeding, assisting with ambulation. Measure and record vital signs, and patient height and weight. May be responsible for specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, and/or postural drainage. Performs Oxygen room set-up and monitors oxygen flow-rate, performs oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal suctioning, tracheostomy care, fecal impaction removal, sterile dressing change wound irrigation for wounds that are 48 hours old, IV fluid assembly and monitoring, IV site care and discontinue peripheral IV, ostomy irrigation and care, urinary catheterization and irrigation, performs established oral, nasogastric, and gastrostomy tube feedings.
5. Reinforce routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers
● High School diploma or GED
● Listed as Nursing Assistant II with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
● Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six (6) months related nursing assistant experience
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Fluent in verbal and written English language and able to develop basic computer skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Burn Center Intensive
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.