Central Sterile Tech Supervisor
Central Processing Department (CPD) comprises the service within the hospital in which medical/surgical instrumentation are cleaned, assembled, sterilized, and readably available for patient care. CPD at UNC Medical Center manages over 3,000 trays for the operating rooms, and 45+ hospital based clinics. An average daily need for the Operating Rooms is in excess of 500 trays with an average of 5 instrument trays per case
The supervisor role will oversee High Level Disinfectant and the Quality Assurance process, outside clinic inventory.
This is a 40 hours per week position; (9:00 am to 6:30 pm) Monday - Friday, with rotating on-call weekends and holiday rotation. This position qualifies for an extensive benefit package including PTO hours, which are accrued based on the number of worked hours. This position requires the ability to attend a week long orientation (Monday through Friday, 7:30am-5:00pm) which is offered every two weeks.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is a working supervisor, with major responsibility for ensuring that sterile supplies and instruments are available to the operating rooms throughout the UNC Healthcare system. In addition to the staff, this position also performs a variety of duties related to the decontamination, sterilization, assembly, storage, and distribution of surgical instruments and medical supplies. Employees in this class work under the minimal supervision of a higher-level administrator.
1. Assists in maintaining inventory of supplies, equipment, and repair parts replaces old equipment and arranges for repairs of existing equipment.
2. Assists with selection, hiring, and coaching of staff. Monitors performance, provides feedback. Responsible for discipline of staff. Conducts performance appraisals.
3. Confers with company representatives. Attends demonstrations of new equipment. Recommends purchases of new equipment. Assists with evaluations of new items and procedures.
4. Ensures staff is aware of and adheres to relevant policies and procedures, including Infection Control Guidelines, society standards and manufacturer’s instructions for use.
5. Responsible for supervising personnel who process, store, distribute, issue, and stock surgical instruments and medical supplies to all patient care areas, clinics and specialty areas. Maintains day-to-day operations, plans daily shift schedule or changes based on manpower scheduling and the needs of the areas serviced.
6. Reviews work of staff to ensure quality, accuracy of charges, inventory levels and equipment on hand.
7. Sets the standard for customer service, trains staff, evaluates employees, and advises customers as to use of equipment and supplies as needed. Troubleshoots problems and make recommendations to improve operations.
● High School diploma or GED
● Sterile processing certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of experience relevant to the processing or inventorying of medical surgical supplies.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Central Processing Department
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.