Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Clinical Dietitian works closely with the multidisciplinary healthcare team to coordinate evidence based medical nutrition therapy that is integrated and compatible with the patient focused medical goals. Primary responsibilities include application of the Nutrition Care Process (NCP), through nutrition focused physical exam, nutrition/malnutrition assessment, nutrition diagnosis, interventions, monitoring and evaluating of the patient's progress. The Clinical Dietitian uses practice-specific dietetics as available and evidence based practice protocols/nutrition practice guidelines to help determine nutrition intervention. The Clinical Dietitian performs business functions, such as management of resources in a cost-effective manner, and participates in compliance and quality performance improvement efforts to ensure that nutrition care is safe and effective. The Clinical Dietitian is an integral part of the multidisciplinary team, is involved in team conferences, provides nutrition-related in-services and contributes to the development and revision of hospital policies. The Clinical Dietitian also may be involved in community-based nutrition programs and maintains professional competency and skills required for professional practice. The Clinical Dietitian precepts interns, supports and trains clinical dietitians in the core behaviors and responsibilities of the department and organization.
UNC Health is a qualifying organization for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program! This position has the potential for hybrid work!
1. Assesses nutritional needs using standardized practice and critical thinking. Identifies nutrient requirements according to age, disease and individual needs for assigned patients. Demonstrates clinical and age specific competency as evidenced by clinical competency tools, forms, chart audits, tests, observation, etc.
2. Acts as a resource person for the specialty team assigned and serves as a liaison between other medical specialties and ancillary services.
3. Assists in achieving compliance with the Joint Commission, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Healthcare Facilities AccreditationProgram (HFAP), or other accrediting agency standards to continuously improve the safety and quality of care to the public and to the organization’s performance improvement
4. Attends medical rounds, patient care conferences, and continuing education/staff meetings. Participates in quality improvement initiatives and cross training
5. Develops, implements, and monitors nutrition care plans and participates in the discharge planning process. Provides education using established behavioral change techniques.
6. May lead, direct, and manage the work assigned to others within the department. Documents all aspects of nutrition care in the medical record. Demonstrates compliance with regulatory agency standards as evidenced by timely completion of clinical nutrition workload as evidenced by chart audits and organizational / regulatory agency surveys.
7. Participates in the training of clinical nutrition intern students by acting as preceptors throughout the year as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree required from a US regionally accredited university or college and course work accredited or approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
● Completion of a Coordinated Program in Dietetics or Dietetic Internship accredited by ACEND (Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics) of no less than 900 hours (1200 hours for graduates of programs beginning 2012)
● Registered Dietitian (RD) by The Commission of Dietetic Registration (CDR)
● Licensed as a Dietitian/Nutritionist (LDN) by the North Carolina Board of Dietetics and Nutrition.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required except for specific positions.
● UNCMC Cardiac Rehab: Two(2) years as a clinical dietitian in a cardiac rehabilitation program or outpatient cardiology clinic.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● • Knowledge of the Nutrition Care Process and ability to apply all steps of the process.
• Knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy.
• Understands and can implement Motivational Interviewing
• Critical thinking to integrate facts, informed opinion, active listening, and observations.
• Decision making, problem solving, and collaboration.
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form to patients, public, hospital and medical staff, and physicians.
• Ability to function independently on assigned patient care units.
• Ability to counsel and educate others.
• General knowledge of nutrient analysis, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC Physicians Network
Organization Unit: Pop Health-UNCPN Care Mgmt
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Morrisville
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.