Nursing Assistant I - Acute Burn and Wound Unit
*This position qualifies for our Nursing Support Incentive Program. The Nursing Support Incentive Program includes $5,000 paid over a three (3) year commitment. Learn more about the program here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-hospitals-unc-rex-nursing-support-incentive-program
Nursing Assistant I needed for the Acute Burn and Wound Unit - 5 East. 5 East is a 15-bed unit dedicated to caring for patients with a burn injury and/or other complex wounds. Burn patients on this unit typically have <20% burn injury and are acute care in status. Other patients cared for on this unit include, but are not limited to: plastic surgery patients, diabetic wounds, pressure ulcers and overflow from other acute care surgery and medicine areas.
This is a 36 hours per week position; working 12 hour rotating shifts (7am-7:30pm and 7pm-7:30am) with weekend and holiday rotation. This position qualifies for an extensive benefit package including PTO hours, which are accrued based on the number of worked hours. This position requires the ability to attend a week long orientation (Monday through Friday, 7:30am-5:00pm) which is offered every two weeks.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides routine direct and indirect patient care in a hospital, clinic or home health care setting. All work performed is under the direct supervision of a registered nurse or physician.
1. Assist physicians and other health care providers with routine examinations and procedures, as well as procurement of equipment and supplies during emergency situations.
2. In the psychiatric setting, aids patients in reality orientation, participates in behavior modification plans/therapy, provides informal support therapy to patients/families, provides verbal de-escalation of potentially aggressive patients, aids in the physical management of aggressive/out-of-control patients, facilitates age appropriate play for children, and monitors the therapeutic milieu activities on assigned unit to ensure that emotional and safety needs of patients are met.
3. Observes, collects, and documents patient information obtained while providing care and promptly report significant changes in the patient's condition to a registered nurse or physician.
4. Provides assistance to patients and their families during admission to the clinical area, orientation to the hospital/clinic/home health experience, and discharge
5. Provides care/ treatments to patients as outlined in plan of care including, but not limited to, the measurement of vital signs, height and weight, specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, postural drainage, and supportive 11 patient and family interactions.
6. Provides direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care for routine activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, feeding and assisting with ambulation.
7. Provides indirect care to patients and assigned area to include, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, changing linens, re-stocking supplies, cleaning/sterilizing instruments, transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens, assisting in the orientation of new employees and students, and some routine clerical functions.
8. Reinforces routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers.
● High School diploma or GED
● Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six (6) months of relevant nursing assistant experience, which may include a nursing assistant course
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Fluent in verbal and written English language and able to develop basic computer skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Wound 5 East
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Salary Range: $15.00 - $18.62 per hour (Minimum to Midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.