RN Patient Services Manager III - Pediatric Emergency Department
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Leadership opportunity with the Emergency Services team! Pediatric focus with partnership in other areas of the Emergency Department!
Summary:This position supervising large clinical units. Duties include ensuring that appropriate care and services are available to patients and families, ensures adequate and appropriate clinic staffing on each shift, supervision of nursing staff, medical support staff and utility aide staff, assistance with annual performance reviews of staff, participation in quality improvement initiatives to address identified patient safety or quality of care issues. Provides and facilitates an environment conducive to staff continuing education needs, ongoing unit-based educational needs and orientation of staff members.
The 127 bed Emergency Department is comprised of 44 behavioral health beds (with a separate dedicated manager), 12 pediatric beds, and the remaining beds organized utilizing a pod design with a team staffing format. This position is primary to overseeing the care provided in the Pediatric Emergency Department in partnership with the Pediatric Emergency Department Medical Director. They will also maintain responsibilities within the Adult Emergency Department and partner with the other Emergency nurse managers in managing the Emergency Department as a whole. This person reports to the Director of Emergency Services with whom he/she collaborates for the operations, staff development, budgeting and strategic unit goals.
We are seeking a dynamic individual that can effectively partner with other nurse managers to lead a large team with strong skill sets in leadership, quality improvement and budget. Our ideal candidate will possess: a) Strong Leadership Experience b) Talent for motivating teams and individuals to accomplish goals c) Strong problem-solving, analytical and interpersonal skills d) Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
Successful candidate will have more than three to five years of pediatric and/or emergency nursing experience, preferably in an academic center as well as more than one year of management experience. Healthcare Provider BLS required and strongly prefer certifications in ACLS, PALS, TNCC, and ENPC.
1. Patient Care- Ensures that appropriate care and services are available to patients / clients and families. Facilitates interdisciplinary collaboration in patient/client care planning. Ensures appropriate clinical staffing and skill mix for patient care. Supervises team of professionals /paraprofessionals which may include nursing staff, health unit coordinators, nursing assistants and utility aides.
2. Human Resource Management- Effectively manages human resources. Creates an environment conducive to recruiting and retaining staff. Applies organizational policy and procedures in hiring, promoting, transferring and terminating staff. Provides staff with annual performance feedback and opportunity to set professional goals. Integrates scientific evidence regarding retention of nursing staff into unit planning.
3. Budget Management- Effectively uses clinical and financial information to establish and meet budgetary goals. Implements strategies to increase revenue and cost effectively manage personnel, supply, and equipment resources. Evaluates the impact of strategic fiscal changes on quality outcomes.
4. Accreditation Issues- Ensures that internal and external regulatory standards or nursing practice are met or exceeded. This includes organizational policy and procedures as well as state, Joint Commission, Board of Nursing and other specified accrediting bodies. Integrate current scientific evidence with standards of practice.
5. Quality Improvement- Leads and participates in quality improvement initiatives that focus on identified patient safety or quality of care deficits.
6. Education- Creates an educational environment conducive to student learning, staff continuing education, and orientation of new staff members. Accountable for annual competency evaluation of staff that ensures staff has the knowledge and skills to care for the specified patient population.
7. Customer Satisfaction- Ensures high customer satisfaction. Communicates patient satisfaction results, letters and comments to staff and leads monthly initiatives to improve consumer satisfaction with care and services. Advocates for consumers within the organization, particularly for vulnerable or at risk populations.
● Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from a state-accredited school of professional nursing.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
● For positions at Magnet Hospitals, professional certification (ANCC Magnet approved) relevant to Management, Leadership or Clinical Area is required within the probationary period of employment.
● BLS required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of professional nursing in tertiary care and one (1) year of management experience in specialty area.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Emergency Room
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.