Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Manages and directs the activities of the electrical/electronics or mechanical sections. Performs the highest and most advanced level electrical or mechanical engineering work in the design, design review, installation, maintenance, repair and operation of electrical and electronic systems.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement designs for the electrical or mechanical functions associated with in-house construction projects for area renovations, system expansion, or repair, including development of the scope of the project, preparing design concepts, calculations, drawings, specifications and cost estimates and then monitoring and inspecting all related construction.
- Develop and manage the sections operation, including development of operating budgets needed to support electrical or mechanical system operation and maintenance, developing and implementing design and construction standards, developing and update personnel job descriptions, conducting interviews and recommending the hiring of new personnel.
- Develop, coordinate, implement and manage construction and renovation projects at all levels of cost and complexity to meet project schedule and budget requirements, and to ensure compliance with building plans, specifications and state and Federal codes, including compliance with JCAHO requirements for safety. Act as the primary liaison to designers, architects, contractors, code officials and hospital staff.
- Develop, implement and review contracts, contract amendments and change orders and approve, reject or negotiate acceptance of changes to, modifications of and payment for such contracts for construction and renovation projects.
- Evaluate existing electrical or mechanical systems to determine the support needed for capital construction projects. This includes analyzing potential modifications to the existing systems, developing potential new supplemental systems or planning and implementing capital renewal for the equipment. Develop long range plans for all systems and integrate and coordinate capital construction projects into this plan.
- Evaluate, troubleshoot, analyze and correct technical system(s) problems in newly constructed and renovated buildings, including negotiation of warranty issues and full resolution of outstanding problems. Evaluate, troubleshoot, analyze and correct technical system(s) problems in existing buildings and ensure electrical or mechanical systems perform as required to comply with JCAHO, infection control and safety standards and expectations.
- Manage and direct the engineering for all functions of maintenance, operation, design, renovation and construction of the building electrical systems (including fire detection, electrical standby power generation, alarm systems, nurse call systems and electronic equipment such as televisions and VCR's) or of the building mechanical systems (including chiller plants, HVAC, plumbing, fire protection, medical gases) used in and for the UNC Health Care System.
- Plan, develop, implement, conduct and manage effective programs for preventative and demand maintenance as required for electrical or mechanical systems in all buildings of the UNC Health Care system. Responsible for inspecting the facility regularly for maintenance needs and safety hazards. Advise management concerning the technical aspects of maintaining, replacing, or renovating equipment and systems.
- Provide direct supervision and leadership for technical trade supervisors and their shops, including establishing work standards, assigning tasks, reviewing work performance and evaluating training needs or conducting training. Include planning, organizing, and directing work functions of several employees or first line supervisors.
- Review, evaluate and prepare comments on schematic, design development and construction drawings and specifications prepared by engineering and architectural firms for constructability, maintainability, conformance to building codes and standards, compliance with JCAHO, professional and accepted construction standards and to meet the requirements of the hospital.
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field.
No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
Six (6) years advanced experience in system design, maintenance and operations, project engineering, and/or construction administration in institutional, commercial, or industrial buildings. An advanced technology degree may be substituted for no more than one year of the total additional experience required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Rex Facilities
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Salary Range: $40.04 - $50.05 per hour (minimum to midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity.
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Health Care System, in a department that provides shared services to operations across UNC Health Care; except that, if you are currently a UNCHCS State employee already working in a designated shared services department, you may remain a UNCHCS State employee if selected for this job.