Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs skilled work in the repair, construction, and maintenance of various refrigeration and air conditioning systems, including associated air handling, control devices and equipment, heating, ventilation, chilled water distribution systems, chillers and energy management control systems. Work is performed on rotating shifts and/or set day/evening/night work schedules as required.
1. Analyze building heating and cooling systems and recommend modifications to achieve better operation and energy efficiency.
2. Completes required documentation for records and reports in a timely and complete fashion.
3. Conduct repairs and operations of all systems on an emergency basis when working the rotating shifts
4. Install, repair and maintain various HVAC, chilled water and/or refrigeration systems. Install, repair and maintain pneumatic control systems and associated components and equipment installed and used in any HVAC, chilled water, refrigeration and/or medical air systems.
5. Perform maintenance and operational tests on HVAC, chilled water, refrigeration and/or hot water system devices, using equipment such as refrigerant recovery systems and refrigerant pressure gauges. If assigned, perform all required tests and maintain the HVAC systems to meet Infection Control requirements. May also respond to patient and staff complaints regarding heating and cooling problems.
6. Perform system troubleshooting and repair of chilled water, HVAC and/or refrigeration control circuits and equipment properly using a variety of electronics and electrical test equipment, system and device drawings, air monitor output results and/or chilled water reports. Perform preventative maintenance and repair of refrigeration, chilled water, air conditioning and/or air handling equipment. Perform computerized energy system monitoring. May record, analyze and use operational data of chillers in accordance with preset parameters.
7. Provide first response fire brigade and disaster relief and support as required or requested.
8. Schedules and completes work assignments received at level of independence defined for job level.
● High School diploma or GED
● Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) certification for all levels of work performed to meet EPA Type I, II, III or Universal Technician requirements as referenced in 40 CFR part 82, subpart F.
● Heating Contractors, Group 3 Class I license or Refrigeration Contractors license for Technician level work.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six (6) years of direct experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC, air handling, chiller, chilled water distribution, refrigeration and control systems, including progressive experience in problem solving and system troubleshooting.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NC Health
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: UNCMC Facilities
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Health Care System, in a department that provides shared services to operations across UNC Health Care; except that, if you are currently a UNCHCS State employee already working in a designated shared services department, you may remain a UNCHCS State employee if selected for this job.