Maternal Fetal Ultrasound Tech
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
*This position qualifies for a $15,000 commitment incentive which will be paid over a three (3) year work commitment. Equal installments will be paid after each six (6) months of work completed. Learn more about the incentive program here:
Join the UNC Maternal Fetal Medicine department at our outpatient office located 10 minutes away from UNC Hospitals. Monday - Friday 7:30 - 5 with one rotating day off. Major holidays off, no call or weekends. This position will be responsible for the independent operation of diagnostic medical equipment to expose complex diagnostic conditions, and for performing and communicating results of diagnostic examinations for a variety of ob/gyn scanning procedures(fetal echo, fetal anomalies, high risk obstetrics).
1. Assists the radiologist in performing invasive diagnostic techniques specialized to maternal fetal ultrasound processes. Provides standardization and training to residents regarding these exams.
2. Consults with patient and evaluates any contra-indications, such as medications, insufficient patient preparation or the patient’s inability, or unwillingness to tolerate the procedure.
3. Performs the ultrasound procedure under general or direct supervision, as defined by the procedure and/or physician. Performs essential maternal-fetal ultrasound examinations, such as; detailed anatomical evaluation, complete fetal echocardiogram, growth assessment, fetal wellbeing (to include biophysical profiles, maternal/fetal Doppler, amniotic fluid assessments), needle procedure guidance, examinations of maternal pelvic anatomy (including transvaginal cervical assessment) and advanced diagnostic 3D/4D techniques.
4. Conducts ultrasonic diagnostic procedures and records anatomical, pathological and/or physiological data for interpretation by a physician.
5. Assists the supervising physician with invasive procedures as required. Analyzes sonography findings throughout the course of the examination so that a comprehensive exam is completed and sufficient data is provided to the physician.
6. Recognizes situations or abnormalities that require the direct observation of the real-time scan by the radiologist.
7. Images structures while simultaneously obtaining Doppler signal and recording images and Doppler shift recordings along with patient information for interpretation by a radiologist.
8. Advises radiologist and/or referring OB provider of results of the examination and provides preliminary information regarding diagnostic evaluation of the maternal-fetal scans.
● Completion of a twelve (12) month program in Diagnostic Medical Sonography / General Ultrasound or equivalent certificate program is required.
● Must be American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) Registered in OB and OB GYN and Fetal Echocardiography (FE).
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of experience performing complex ob/gyn or vascular scans.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: UNC MFM at Vilcom Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Salary Range: $29.98-$37.48 per hour (minimum to midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity.
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.