Respiratory Care Assistant
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Assist with Respiratory Therapy needs for non-critically ill patients in a hospital setting.
1. Assist the respiratory therapist/technician in performing routine age appropriate Respiratory Care procedures. Performs quality basic respiratory Care procedures according to established departmental policy for the neonate through geriatric. Areas of responsibility are limited to general care only and include procedures defined by the North Carolina Respiratory Care declaratory ruling.
2. Work under the direct supervision of a licensed respiratory care practitioner (RCP) who is a graduate of a Respiratory Care Program that has been approved by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care or its
3. Records completely all pertinent information pertaining to patient care procedures per hospital and departmental policies.
4. Records patient information in electronic medical record system.
● Currently enrolled in good standing in an accredited Respiratory Care educational program approved by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) and successful completion 1 year of such program
required. To remain in good standing with the Board and to continue as a Respiratory Care Assistant, a minimum grade of at least 2.0 in all RCP courses and an overall average of 2.0 must be maintained.
● Registered with the North Carolina Respiratory Care Board (NCRCB) as an RCA required. Completed competency evaluations for each of the duties of the job required. Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider from AHA is required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Completed 1st year of Respiratory Care Associate Degree Program. Demonstrated competencies verified by the educational institution for the procedures defined in the revised declaratory ruling by the North Carolina Respiratory Care Board, required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Competency in all of the following Respiratory Care Procedures verified by the educational institution:
• Oxygen Supply Systems
• Equipment Processing
• Manual Resuscitation
• Oxygen Administration
• Humidity and Aerosol Therapy
• Small Volume Nebulizer Therapy
• MDI Administration
• Incentive Spirometry
• Non-invasive Mechanical Airway Clearance Therapy
• Chest Physiotherapy with suctioning
• Arterial Puncture
• Electrocardiogram (if performed by the hiring institute)
• Patient Reporting
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Respiratory Therapy
Work Type: PT No Ben
Standard Hours Per Week: 12.00
Salary Range: $19.43 - $24.28 per hour (Minimum to Midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.