Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
We are seeking an Activities Therapist with mental health experience to work on a multidisciplinary therapy team. The Activities Therapist shall be responsible for organizing, developing, and directing quality activities for patients in the milieu. The Activities Therapist will direct meaningful activities for patients in group and individual settings, ensuring that the recreational, physical, intellectual, spiritual, and social needs of each patient are met.
The Activities Therapist will participate in a variety of professional growth activities and mentorship intended to develop and improve patient care delivery and departmental performance. Additionally, the Activities Therapist will be encouraged to serve as a clinical educator for health and human services students.
The Activities Therapist shall also demonstrate accountability for and contribution to program development, quality improvement, problem solving and productivity enhancement in a flexible team fashion.
The selected candidate will work Monday - Friday with occasional weekend and holiday coverage.
1. Must perform proficiently in all competency areas including but not limited to: general activities duties,, supervisory responsibilities, care plan and documentation responsibilities, patient rights, and safety and sanitation principles and techniques of therapy as applies in an acute care psychiatric facility
2. Must demonstrate understanding of basic medical and psychiatric terminology as well as basic regulations governing the treatment of people in psychiatric health facilities.
3. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing while appropriately and descriptively charting patient progress and behavior. Maintain detailed records of activity programs and participation of individual residents, identifying progress toward established care plan goals.
4. Adapt treatment programs by graduating tasks to meet patient's level of function
5. Develop, organize, and implement a program of adjunctive therapy activities to meet the social, emotional, physical and other therapeutic needs of patients as identified on the patients’ plan of care and within the specified budget.
6. Must be able to make regular in-room visits to patients uninterested or unable to participate in group activities
7. Must exhibit excellent customer service and a positive attitude towards patients. Coordinate and verify that assistance is provided to residents for activities and events as necessary. Create an ongoing calendar of activities, which creatively meets multiple needs and is accessible and appealing to both men and women of all ages and abilities.
● Bachelor’s Degree in human services field required
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No experience is required
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● A variety of individual and group facilitation techniques• Demonstrated proficiency in arts/crafts/music is preferred• Knowledge of one or more therapeutic activity area such as recreation/occupational/music/art therapy; individual and group behavior and effective ways of working with clients; knowledge of the general nature of physical or mental illnesses/disabilities and/or developmental disabilities;• Ability to apply and adapt skills and knowledge of activity areas to planned sessions of therapeutic activities; Ability to foster interest, initiative, responsibility, and experimentation in clients and discourage inappropriate responses;• Experience facilitating therapeutic groups.• Familiarity working with forensic and/or psychiatric consumers preferred.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Rec Therapy & Child Life Adm
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 30.00
Salary Range: $18.07 - $22.59 per hour (Minimum to Midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.