Student Nurse Extern - Medicine Acute Care Unit (3 West)
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This is a 26-bed Medicine Acute Care unit caring for patients with End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), autoimmune and connective tissue disorders, pneumonia, chest pain, CHF, GI bleed, and diabetes.
The goal of the Student Nurse Externship experience is to provide undergraduate nursing students with an extended clinical experience to enhance their foundational nursing education.
Student Nurse Extern (SNE) demonstrates the ability to learn and apply the knowledge and skills they have been taught in their nursing program to provide technically skilled care in their assigned department.
SNE functions as a member of the patient care team, experiencing the complexities of a nursing care delivery model while increasing the extern’s independence in taking a patient care assignment.
SNE reports to the assigned department’s Patient Services Manager and works with a limited degree of independence under the direct supervision of an assigned Registered Nurse (RN) Preceptor. The RN Preceptor supports learning experiences.
1. Identifies and prioritizes nursing needs of patients and families.
2. Makes sound clinical judgments, appropriate to current knowledge and skill level, while acknowledging limits of knowledge base and initiates steps to ensure safety.
3. Performs nursing interventions as noted on the multidisciplinary plan of care developed for patients within limits of the role and under direct supervision of RN Preceptor.
4. Observes, collects, and documents patient information obtained while providing care and promptly report significant changes in the patient's condition to RN Preceptor or Physician.
5. Assists patients and their families during admission to the clinical area, orientation to the hospital/clinic/home health experience, and discharge.
6. Provide direct personal care independently to patients as outlined in plan of care activities such as bathing, dressing, feeding, and assisting with ambulation. Measure and record vital signs, patient height and weight. May be responsible for specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, and/or postural drainage. Performs Oxygen room set-up and monitors oxygen flow rate, performs oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal suctioning, tracheostomy care, sterile dressing change wound irrigation for wounds that are 48 hours old, IV fluid assembly and monitoring, IV site care, and discontinue peripheral IV, ostomy care, and urinary catheterization. Performs established oral, nasogastric, and gastrostomy tube feedings.
7. Provides indirect care to patients and assigned areas including, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, changing linens, re-stocking supplies, and transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens.
8. Participates actively in discharge planning of patients, reinforces routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician, and documents patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers.
9. Participates actively during change of shift patient bedside report.
● Completion of junior (first year) level in a professional ADN or BSN School of Nursing and evidence of active enrollment in a nursing school required
● Listed as Nursing Assistant II with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
● Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● None required.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Emergent Department Psychiatric Area
Work Type: Temporary Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Salary: $15.64 per hour
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.