Business Development Manager (Europe, West Asia, and Africa)
Following a number of years of growth and expansion across Europe, West Asia, and Africa (EWAA), thoughtbot, a leading digital product design and development agency, is seeking a Business Development Manager to support our fully remote, diverse, and talented team of Product Managers, Developers and Designers. This role’s purpose is to seek out and bring our high quality results to even more new clients, while ensuring the team has fulfilling work.
We work with clients of all sizes, from startups to enterprise organisations, and working across a variety of sectors, the opportunity is vast. With presales assistance from the team, and support from the marketing team, you’ll capitalise on inbound leads as well as identifying new prospects and nurturing relationships with target clients.
thoughtbot is a fully remote company. Because we're looking for teammates who overlap with our client teams’ working hours, this is a remote position available to anyone throughout the Europe, West Asia, and Africa region (UTC-2 through UTC+3). If you live in a country that has a work week other than Monday through Friday, you are welcome to follow that work week.
We are committed to ensuring a representative applicant pool before we begin reviewing applications.
Applications will be reviewed no sooner than February 16, 2024. The earliest date we would expect to extend an offer would be late March.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
As Business Development Manager, EWAA, you will:
- Own the EWAA inbound lead process from intake to close.
- Partner with the Managing Director in the business development sales process to move the sales process forward toward closure. This includes serving as the point of contact for the deal; leading calls, proposing thoughtbot approach, leading estimation sessions, and negotiating contracts & rates.
- Be the primary owner for all RFPs and other deals requiring a complex, lengthy procurement process.
- Identify, engage, negotiate, and close new non-inbound business development opportunities.
- Partner with other thoughtbot teams to identify and close cross-team opportunities.
- Own revenue goals of > £1 million in the first year with incremental revenue growth goals in the following years.
- Work closely with the Managing Director to identify and pursue strategic opportunities to support our operations in the region.
- Identify and nurture relationships with target clients.
- Work with the rest of our business development and marketing team on the development of business development strategies, including prioritisation by customers and segments, marketing campaigns, event sponsorships, webinars, videos, blog posts, social media, talk tracks, talking points, sales material, decks assets, and contracts.
We believe that it is possible to continuously learn and improve the way people work while building higher-quality products that make positive contributions to the world. We work with companies in every step of the product development process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps, and then deploy and maintain them.
We proactively work on improving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at thoughtbot. We aim to maintain an inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive professionally, as well as have full lives outside of work. Read about our DEI efforts in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion section of our Playbook. We acknowledge that DEI work is never done, and that we will make mistakes along the way. We are continuously working on learning, improving ourselves, and the company.
As a member of thoughtbot, you’ll be part of our fully remote community. We’re continuously working to assure remote work is inclusive, collaborative, comfortable, and social.
thoughtbot Business Development Managers are able to own, meet, and exceed revenue and target growth goals.
Well-qualified candidates have:
- Significant prior experience in business development, generating new business for a custom software design and development consulting firm, or B2B consulting sales.
- Demonstrated experience sourcing, negotiating and executing new business transactions.
- Demonstrated experience meeting and exceeding revenue and target growth goals.
Very well-qualified candidates will also have a proven track record of attracting potential customers and experience with consulting, marketing collaboration, accurate reporting, and process optimization.
Well-qualified candidates value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
We especially appreciate candidates that demonstrate commitment to valuing DEI and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. We also understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to commit to this work, and that's okay.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t match 100% of the requirements. Let us know if you need any specific accommodations during the interview process.
thoughtbot cannot sponsor work visas at this time.
Our goal is to provide ourselves with the best possible benefits, tools to use, and environments to work in while staying sustainable. We've shared the details of all our benefits, along with all our salary bands in our compensation calculator, and our career paths.
We reserve at least 20 days of the year for continuous improvement to make ourselves, the company, and our community better by learning new tools and techniques, working on open source, blogging, creating new products, volunteering our time, and more.
We pay 100% of expenses when you speak at conferences and 50% of the cost for attendees. We also pay 50% of all expenses for job-related training.
Paid Time Off
We work a sustainable pace of 40 hours/week. We have four weeks (24 days in the UK) of vacation time per year, in addition to company holidays and sick days. For new parents, we also have at least 6 weeks paid leave in all locations, as well as the ability to take at least 6 months off.
Healthcare + Financial
In the U.S. we provide competitive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, and a comprehensive 401k plan with matching. In the UK we provide supplemental private insurance and a group personal pension scheme.