North Carolina Central University
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
Due to the volume of applications received for vacancies at NCCU, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the telephone. It is not necessary to contact us to check the status of your application. Please log into your account in PeopleAdmin to find the status of your application. Upon the closing date, applications are “Under Review” and will be screened by Employment Office for the most qualified applicants. If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted.
Questions about Faculty postings should be directed to the ARMO Office.
SHRA postings require a completed application, resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
|Position required to work during periods of adverse weather or other emergencies||No|
At least one year of experience working with individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds to include nationality, race and ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and religious background.
|Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities||
Ordination/Official Recognition/Certification as a spiritual leader/minister/imam/pastor/rabbi (or equivalent training and/or certification) in a recognized religious practice.
Criminal Background Check.
Preferred experience and skills in administration, leading teams, communication, public speaking, conflict resolution, spiritual counseling, and mentoring.
|Primary Purpose of Position||
The successful candidate will work as part of a team of Chaplains and will collaborate with the Coordinator Spiritual Development and Dialogue, the interfaith ambassadors and the department of Diversity and Inclusion to increase interfaith understanding, education, and support. Candidates will have demonstrated experience working successfully with individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds to include nationality, race and ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and religious background.
• Develop, lead, and manage faith-based educational and social programs with the Office of Spiritual Development and Dialogue including events, workshops, and services.
• Initiate new programming as needed and to support student and faculty led programming efforts.
• Assist with the ceremonial needs of the campus including planning and presiding over University events.
• Provide spiritual care and counseling to NCCU students going through personal and emotional challenges of all sorts.
• Answer faith-based questions and provide spiritual guidance to the NCCU students.
• Lead prayer and meditation services in group and one-on-one settings.
• Provide crisis intervention services in times of death and other tragic events.
• Assist Dean of Students with supporting students and families in crisis.
• Provide general spiritual support and indirect counseling to members of the NCCU community. This includes serving as a confidential source for Title IX (sexual assault and harassment reports). This includes holding open office hours and outreach/relationship building to campus constituents.
• Provide mentoring to faith-based student organization leadership.
• Work with the Coordinator of Spiritual Development and Dialogue to strategically plan for the best approach for campus outreach.
• Perform other site and position specific functions as assigned.
|Primary Function of Organizational Unit||
Through programming, education and training, the department of Diversity and Inclusion work to ensure Eagles excel with an understanding and appreciation for equity, inclusion and diversity.
|Work Hours||9AM - 6PM|
|Equal Opportunity Employer||
North Carolina Central University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
|Campus Security Authority Designated Position||No|
|Working Title||Volunteer Chaplain|
|Salary Grade Equivalent||N/A|
|Appointment Type||Temporary - Part Time|
|FTE||.5 = 20 hours/week, 12 months|
|If time limited, duration date|
|Special Instructions to Applicants|
- Cover Letter
- Other Document
- List of References