American Underground Marketing Intern
American Underground Marketing Intern - Durham, NC
Who We Are: https://americanunderground.com/about/
This internship is open to rising Juniors and Seniors at NCCU, Shaw University and St. Augustine’s University. Please note, students should apply to one internship only.
The American Underground is an entrepreneurship-focused coworking space and professional community. With three campuses in downtown Durham, the AU is home to 200+ startups, entrepreneurs, investors, agencies, remote workers, nonprofits, and more.
We’re seeking a self motivated and ambitious student looking to build their experience in social media and promotional marketing content. The student will be responsible for creating, building, and launching a specific social media campaign to target either a specific prospect demographic or event series. The student will collaborate closely with the AU’s marketing associate and executive director to build the campaign in line with the AU branding and content guidelines, and to ensure the campaign meets a core business need. In addition to being highly creative, we’re looking for a student who has exceptional organizational, multi-tasking, time management, and communication skills with the ability to independently complete tasks.
- In collaboration with the AU’s marketing associate, build a social media marketing campaign
- Create a marketing plan document that outlines goals, success metrics, content schedule, and resources required
- Capture video and photo content of the American Underground space, events, and member companies in support of this marketing campaign
- Edit content for social media use and deliver to marketing associate
- Launch campaign and track initial metrics
- Research and evaluate competitor marketing and promotional content
- Write copy for social media posts, promotional emails, and other marketing collateral
- Perform market research on the latest trends
- Must have a positive attitude, confident but friendly approach, and a desire to be the best
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask, and good attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and collaborate with a team
- Understanding of basic marketing principles and SEO techniques/practices
- Experience with content creation, and familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, etc)
- Interest in startups and entrepreneurship is a plus
Partnership with Leadership Triangle:
As a part of this internship, you will complete 50 hours of leadership training with Leadership Triangle. Your hours with Leadership Triangle are a paid component of the program and all sessions are mandatory. As an Emerging Leader, you will be paired with a leadership coach who will support you in five 1:1 sessions. Additionally, you will take part in a cohort-only retreat in Rocky Mount, and regularly participate in interactive workshops and training. You will be introduced to leaders throughout the Triangle community and have opportunities to network and grow your professional community. All students who successfully complete the Emerging Leaders Program will be admitted into the lifelong Goodmon Fellowship.
Emerging Leaders will be paid $6400 over the course of a 400 hour Fall internship ($16/hr), running from August 21-December 15. Additionally, each intern will receive $160 as a transportation stipend. Leadership Triangle will administer all payments. This is a cohort based program, designed to promote networking across local HBCUs.
The application deadline is May 19. Interns will be notified of an application decision during the week of June 7th.
If selected, all Emerging Leaders will be expected to join the cohort for a leadership retreat held from Saturday, September 30 - Sunday, October 1 in Rocky Mount, NC. Leadership Triangle has arranged lodging. Meals will be provided. Emerging Leaders are expected to arrange their own transportation and arrive no later than 12pm on September 30th. If transportation is an issue, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.