Middle School English Teacher
Middle School English Teacher
Opening for the 2024-25 school year
Do you have a passion for literature ? Do you enjoy helping others interpret the meaning of texts? We are looking for a middle school English Teacher to help our students cultivate a love of reading, analyze texts and prepare for college.
Each English teacher at Henderson Collegiate is assigned an instructional coach to help you navigate the complexities of leading a classroom and teaching rigorous content. In addition to being observed by your coach regularly, you would also meet with them one on one to help develop your teaching skills and close student gaps in understanding. English courses introduce students to a variety of texts and help students to analyze and write about their analysis. To further support you as an English teacher, you would be part of a school-wide department that ensures continuity as students progress from year to year to help students develop the skills and habits that set them up for success in upcoming courses and in college.
Applicants should have a bachelor's degree, but do not need a degree in education. Salary ranges between $46,000 and $78,000 depending on level of education and experience.
Who We Are
Henderson Collegiate is a mission-driven public college preparatory school located in rural Henderson, NC with an unrelenting focus on character development and student achievement. We believe in 51% character and 49% academics, as we will never sacrifice a moment to teach our students character traits that will help them become great people.
Our school serves students that come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% receive free or reduced-price meals, and about 94% are students of color). However, we consistently rank in the top 9.7% of all NC schools and the top 1.3% of all NC Title I schools. Henderson Collegiate is committed to the idea that all students can learn and create a future for themselves that is full of opportunities. We know they can do this by attending and graduating from the colleges of their choice. Our students are proving what is possible and to date, 100% of our seniors have been accepted into a 4-year college or university.
We are both a team and family who leverage passionate people to be the best teachers and leaders that they can be. We believe in the idea that all of our staff members are school teachers, as opposed to classroom teachers, meaning that no matter your role, we are all willing to do whatever it takes to support all Henderson Collegiate students. We work together to make what most people say is impossible, happen.
Who You Are
- A go-getter that will move mountains to do what is best for our students and team
- An encourager who knows that with learning comes joy, love and laughter
- A reflective educator who recognizes the power and potential within all students and strives to provide them with culturally competent/responsive instruction
- A life-long learner that continuously strives to be a better version of themselves through learning, improving and being hungry for feedback
- A gritty problem-solver who approaches challenges with smart solutions in mind
- A finisher who plans backwards to meet timelines and manage complex projects and who keeps in mind both the big picture and the details necessary to make things happen
- A data-driven analyst who reflects and takes swift action based on results
- A proactive communicator who reaches out to students, families, and teammates
What You’ll Do
- Bring it. Have stamina and the ability to set and achieve ambitious goals, and handle the intensity required to bring your best self to an extended school day in a very high-performing school environment.
- Own and develop your own content and curriculum. Do the intellectual preparation needed to create and develop rigorous assessments, unit plans, lesson plans, and instructional materials; demonstrate expertise in and a genuine passion for curriculum that is contagious to students.
- Deliver strong. Dynamically lead students in whole-class and small-group settings, cultivate intellectual curiosity and a love of learning in students, and adjust instruction using qualitative and quantitative data to ensure student understanding and meet differentiated student needs.
- Reach higher – and sweat the small stuff. Develop, uphold, and implement Henderson Collegiate’s values, policies, and systems to effectively manage a classroom and consistently lead students to meet sky-high academic and character-based expectations.
- Never stop growing. Offer and receive constructive feedback from colleagues in order to create a professional working atmosphere that aspires to excellence and is conducive to constant improvement; dive humbly into school-wide and individual professional development, including pre-service training over the summer and weekly sessions during the academic year.
- Spread the love. Build deep relationships with students, families, and staff to foster a culture of joy and community. Maintain strong lines of communication with families about student progress, and go above and beyond to support and collaborate closely with teammates in the united pursuit of Henderson Collegiate’s mission.
The Fine Print
- Required: All candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree.
- Preferred. Prior experience teaching and working in a low-income community is preferred but not required.
- Benefits: Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience, our teacher pay scale can be found here. Additionally, Henderson Collegiate offers a full benefits package. Teachers receive a laptop computer and are provided with classroom technology and software.
- We believe in going the extra mile for students and as a result our school day is longer than many other schools. The school day for staff is from 7:20 am to 4:15 pm, with one day a week staff being expected to stay until 5:00pm for professional development.
- At this time we are not able to sponsor candidates who are looking for an initial US work visa.