Athletic Director/PE Teacher
Athletic Director/PE Teacher
Do you have a passion for physical fitness? Are you interested in helping students gain confidence and skills through physical activity? We are looking for an Athletic Director/PE Teacher to help our students get moving, have fun, learn about health, and play physical games and sports. Applicants should have a bachelor's degree and experience as an Athletic Director or Assistant Athletic Director in a middle or high school setting.
Who We Are
Henderson Collegiate is a mission-driven public college preparatory school located in rural Henderson, NC with an unrelenting focus on character development and student achievement. We believe in 51% character and 49% academics, as we will never sacrifice a moment to teach our students character traits that will help them become great people.
Our school serves students that come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% receive free or reduced-price meals, and about 94% are students of color). However, we consistently rank in the top 9.7% of all NC schools and the top 1.3% of all NC Title I schools. Henderson Collegiate is committed to the idea that all students can learn and create a future for themselves that is full of opportunities. We know they can do this by attending and graduating from the colleges of their choice. Our students are proving what is possible and to date, 100% of our seniors have been accepted into a 4-year college or university.
We are both a team and family who leverage passionate people to be the best teachers and leaders that they can be. We believe in the idea that all of our staff members are school teachers, as opposed to classroom teachers, meaning that no matter your role, we are all willing to do whatever it takes to support all Henderson Collegiate students. We work together to make what most people say is impossible, happen.
What You’ll Do
The Athletic Director/PE Teacher will be responsible for teaching either our Middle or High School Physical Education classes and managing and coordinating the school’s athletic activities and sports programs to promote physical fitness. We are working to expand our program and we are looking for someone to come in and energize our students and staff. Some of the responsibilities of this position include:
- Supervising the middle and high school athletic programs.
- Analyzing and evaluating existing athletic programs and equipment for the purpose of ensuring that they serve the best interest of the students and school, meet applicable laws and North Carolina Athletics Association regulations, and ensure safety of participants.
- Supervising the school’s athletic facilities, overseeing the scheduling and coordinating of practices and athletic events, and disseminating information as needed regarding the times/locations of athletic events.
- Supervising and coordinating the budget and finances for all athletics related programming and events.
- Supervising all athletic documentation to remain in compliance.
- Building up student participation as well as building up our coaching staff.
- Teaching Physical Education classes.
Who You Are
- A go-getter that will move mountains to do what is best for our students and team
- An encourager who knows that with learning comes joy, love and laughter
- A reflective educator who recognizes the power and potential within all students and strives to provide them with culturally competent/responsive instruction
- A life-long learner that continuously strives to be a better version of themselves through learning, improving and being hungry for feedback
- A gritty problem-solver who approaches challenges with smart solutions in mind
- A finisher who plans backwards to meet timelines and manage complex projects and who keeps in mind both the big picture and the details necessary to make things happen
- A data-driven analyst who reflects and takes swift action based on results
- A proactive communicator who reaches out to students, families, and teammates
The Fine Print
- Required: All candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree.
- Required: All candidates must have prior experience working with middle school or high school sports as an Athletic Director or Assistant Athletic Director.
- Preferred: Prior experience teaching and working in a low-income community is preferred but not required.
- Benefits: Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience, both as an educator and within athletics. Additionally, Henderson Collegiate offers a full benefits package. Teachers receive a laptop computer and are provided with classroom technology and software.
- We believe in going the extra mile for students and as a result our school day is longer than many other schools. The school day for staff is from 7:20 am to 4:15 pm, with one day a week staff being expected to stay until 5:30pm for professional development. For this role in particular, there will be many events that take place after school hours that the Athletic Director will be required to attend.